The Atlantic Council promotes constructive leadership and engagement in international affairs based on the Atlantic Community's central role in meeting global challenges. The Council provides an essential forum for navigating the dramatic economic and political changes defining the twenty-first century by informing and galvanizing its uniquely influential network of global leaders. Through the papers we write, the ideas we generate, and the communities we build, the Council shapes policy choices and strategies to create a more secure and prosperous world.
Location – Washington DC
The Atlantic Council seeks a talented writer, editor, area expert, and entrepreneurial thinker to drive the development and expansion of the online presence of the Atlantic Council’s Rafik Hariri Center for the Middle East through its new blog dedicated to news and analysis on Syria. The editor would dedicate the majority of his or her efforts to expanding, diversifying, and managing the content and contributors for the blog and overseeing the development of a well-integrated web presence (blogs, website, and social media) providing news and analysis of the rapidly changing conditions in Syria. The editor will manage Arabic- and English-language submissions and will work with the Deputy Director and Hariri Center team to prioritize content for translation, provide quality control, and manage translations. The editor will also oversee the compilation of the e-newsletter and work to expand its reach and promoting it with other Atlantic Council and external blogs.
The new Atlantic Council blog will follow the dynamics in Syria and amplify a diverse range of Syrian and regional voices. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of Syria, near-native reading, speaking, and writing ability in English and Arabic, strong writing and editing skills, and the ambition to develop a new blog including innovative multimedia features and bilingual content. In addition, the Hariri Center seeks a candidate that will demonstrate the initiative and ambition to pursue independent research and raise the Center’s profile through publications and media engagement.
Demonstrated expertise in regional and Syrian affairs is required. Qualified candidates will possess excellent research and organizational skills and knowledge of social media platforms. Editorial experience is preferred.
- Overseeing the production of a daily newsletter; managing interns and other staff that contribute to the product
- Editing submissions from contributors in English and Arabic; ensuring that the blog’s content is relevant, timely, and accurate
- Recruiting Syrian English- and Arabic-language contributors to write for blog and other Hariri Center online outlets
- Overseeing the promotion of blog resources on Twitter and other social media platforms.
- Developing an independent research agenda and raising the Hariri Center’s profile as the authoritative source of Syria analysis for local perspectives and regional voices through publications, engagement with the Washington policy community, and media outreach
- Coaching and developing the skills and capacity of contributors
- Master’s degree in International Relations or other relevant field preferred; minimum 5 years work experience
- Experience in project and program management a strong plus; strong organizational and administrative skills required
- Proven expertise and interest in Syria to include an understanding of the context and diversity of the country and region; knowledge of key civil society actors with established relevant contacts in Syria and region
- Excellent English writing and editing skills; journalist or blogging background preferred with strong knowledge of media platforms
- Fluency in Arabic with ability to evaluate and edit writing preferred
- Experience with social media platforms
- Superb interpersonal skills
How to Apply
Apply at http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/careers/employment-internships
Deadline - August 21, 2015