The Atlantic Council promotes constructive leadership and engagement in international affairs based on the Atlantic Community's central role in meeting global challenges. The Council provides an essential forum for navigating the dramatic economic and political changes defining the twenty-first century by informing and galvanizing its uniquely influential network of global leaders. Through the papers we write, the ideas we generate, and the communities we build, the Council shapes policy choices and strategies to create a more secure and prosperous world.
Location – Washington DC
The Atlantic Council seeks a motivated, talented, and creative communications professional to help develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy for the Rafik Hariri Center for the Middle East involving traditional and new media, marketing, publications, and outreach. The Associate Director will work closely with all members of the Rafik Hariri Center and the Communications Department to leverage the expertise of Hariri Center staff and to increase the reach and impact of Hariri Center publications and policy initiatives in the media.
S/he will report to the Director of the Rafik Hariri Center but will be an integral member of the Communications Department. S/he will lead efforts to generate positive media attention for the Center’s publications, events, and policy initiatives. The ideal candidate will have experience editing publications, facilitating events, and working with media. S/he will oversee all facets of communications-related activities for the Hariri Center.
The Associate Director of Communications will also assess the communications needs of the Hariri Center and identify new initiatives and opportunities that will help expand, magnify, and amplify its policy impact. The position is located in Washington, DC, and may require international travel and participation in evening events.
- Identify new opportunities to increase communication with key audiences both regionally and internationally by executing publicity campaigns and media strategies for Hariri Center activities, initiatives, events, and publications;
- Create and oversee implementation of publications timeline, ensuring that authors and editors are meeting key deadlines; Assist in editing publications in English;
- Manage media engagement including drafting press releases, fielding interview requests, coordinating media attendance at Council events, and supporting op-ed/publication placement;
- Maintain and develop informational material about the Hariri Center and its activities;
- Track Center media mentions and measuring public impact of Center activities;
- Expand use of online platforms and social media networks to advance the Center’s work in English and Arabic;
- Contribute to Council communications team efforts.
- At least 4-6 years of relevant work experience in public relations, marketing, journalism and/or communications;
- Knowledge of and relationships with American and Middle East journalists, media networks, and platforms. Knowledge of European media a plus;
- Excellent English language written and oral communication skills. Fluency in spoken and written Arabic, Turkish and/or Farsi highly desired;
- Understanding of think tank work and the Washington policy environment;
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of Middle East politics and public policy
- Strong administrative and organizational skills;
- Experience editing English-language publications and strong attention to detail;
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work well with a team in a dynamic environment;
- Bachelors degree (minimum) in a related field; prefer Master’s degree;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; must be able to work well with senior officials, scholars, journalists, staff, and interns.
How to Apply
Apply at http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/careers/employment-internships
Deadline – N/A