Internews provides communities the resources to produce local news and information with integrity and independence. With global expertise and reach, Internews trains both media professionals and citizen journalists, introduces innovative media solutions, increases coverage of vital issues and helps establish policies needed for open access to information.
Internews is currently implementing i-STREAM, a five-year USAID-funded media project, and is recruiting for a South Sudan/Africa Program Associate position, to be based in Washington, DC and support the full field team in South Sudan. Though i-STREAM is a media project, the Program Associate role will focus on core administrative programmatic backstopping/support as opposed to technical programmatic areas, so prior media background is not required. However, experience working with, or interest in civil society development, democracy and governance (D&G) or humanitarian programming is strongly preferred.
Internews is also implementing USAID-funded, media-focused projects in the Central African Republic (CAR), the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Guinea, Liberia, Somalia and Tanzania. The Program Associate will also provide administrative support to the Africa Regional Project Management Team as needed.
Working closely with the South Sudan Program Officer and the Africa Programs Operations Manager and their respective field teams, the Program Associate will be responsible for providing general administrative and backstopping support to the field based program team.
The ideal candidate will have strong attention to detail, excellent and demonstrated writing and communication skills, an ability to multitask and prioritize tasks accordingly, and the ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Coordinates travel logistics, including visa requirements, travel, and accommodations for staff and visitors;
- Coordinates with HR and Grants and Contracts (G&C) departments to process contracts and agreements;
- As requested, liaises with contractors and vendors to prepare and submit payment documents on time;
- Attends internal meetings on behalf of the South Sudan and Africa teams and assists with note taking if necessary;
- Fields requests for information from other departments within the organization;
- Process all Personnel Service Contract (PSC) wire requests on a monthly basis, ensuring timely submission and following up as needed;
- Assist in formatting, writing and editing of programmatic and technical reports, in close coordination with the field offices staff;
- As requested, attend and document external meetings and events;
- Monitor corporate credit card use, and complete credit card financial reconciliation on monthly basis;
- Prepares wire transfer requests, check requests, and/or other payment documents;
- Drafts language for board updates, monthly/quarterly reports, success stories and other items as assigned;
- Maintains/updates various trackers to ensure program compliance with donor regulations;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in international studies, politics, or related field preferred;
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in an administrative or other professional office capacity, preferably working on or with internationally managed programs;
- General knowledge of African and general development issues, knowledge of South Sudan specifically preferable;
- Knowledge of, and interest in USAID and USG rules and regulations preferred;
- Demonstrated strong cross-cultural communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- French fluency preferred, not required;
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and reliably;
- Ability to adapt to changing project and department needs and priorities;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite preferred;
- Experience working with international development / humanitarian organizations preferred.
How to apply
Apply online here.