An independent not-for-profit founded in 1919, IIE is among the world's largest and most experienced international education and training organizations. We are committed to delivering program excellence to a diverse range of participants, sponsors, and donors.
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program provides ten months of non-degree academic study and related professional experiences in the United States. Humphrey Fellows are selected based on their potential for leadership and their commitment to public service in either the public or the private sector.
The Program Officer is responsible for exercising a wide variety of project management skills in international education administration, grantee support, grants management, program implementation and organizational representation.
- Manages program relationship with two host universities including being main point of contact for grantees and liaise, travel to universities to meet with Fellows, faculty, administrators, and other concerned representatives.
- Provides direct support to 20 Fellows, as assigned, regarding professional/academic resources, problem solving, emergency trouble-shooting, interpretation of program guidelines and regulations.
- Recruits panelists for Candidate Review Committee meetings, conduct review trainings, follow up with panelists as needed and maintain contact throughout the year.
- Assists the Senior Program Officer in managing Long-term and Pre-academic English training programs for 60 incoming Fellows, working on placement in appropriate programs and serving as a liaison with training hosts to ensure successful implementation of programs.
- Manages the alumni program which encompasses 6 alumni grants, 9 alumni professional development grants, a mentoring program and correspondence with the 5,400 alumni member network.
- Responds to inquiries on the Humphrey Program, briefs visitors and represents the division at internal meetings.
- Guides program team members and interns on assigned projects.
- Represents the program and IIE with universities, government and other sponsors, other cooperating agencies for the program, participants, the exchange community and concerned general public.
- Responsible for complying with applicable contract and sponsor requirements and following all IIE policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties and functions as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in related field, and at least 2years related experience required.
- Program management experience including participant monitoring, budgeting and maintaining client relationships in a complex, deadline-oriented environment preferred.
- Experience teaching or assisting in an English as a Second Language/English as a Foreign Language setting preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in projects and tasks involving complex details which require well-developed organizational, time-management and administrative skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written. Ability to read and interpret documents such as contracts, policy and procedure manuals and write complex reports and correspondence.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff and external contacts; sensitive to cultural differences when working with people from other cultures; and ability to exercise discretion on confidential matters and to demonstrate sound judgment in consulting with and keeping others informed.
- Ability to easily adapt to changing organizational needs and a fast-paced work environment; work independently without close supervision and as part of a team.
- High level of job-focused multi-tasking skills and ability to perform under pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to compare and evaluate possible courses of action and recommend or decide appropriate course of action.
- Knowledge of higher education systems in the United States and abroad.
- Familiarity with Exchange Visitor (J-1) regulations.
- Proficiency in related language other than English preferred.
- Familiarity with web-based knowledge sharing platforms and social media networks.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Willingness and availability to travel within the United States up to 10%.
How to apply
Please apply online at https://iie.hua.hrsmart.com/hrsmart/ats/Posting/view/1643 . Include a cover letter with your application.