The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens. To achieve this mission, the foundations seek to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights. On a local level, the Open Society Foundations implement a range of initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media. At the same time, we build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information. The foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
Investor and philanthropist George Soros established the Open Society Foundations, starting in 1984, to help countries make the transition from communism. Our activities have grown to encompass the United States and more than 60 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Each foundation relies on the expertise of boards composed of eminent citizens who determine individual agendas based on local priorities.
The Open Society Foundation Legal Empowerment Shared Framework is a high-reaching time bound initiative which aims to institutionalize and financially secure systems offering nationwide and/or population-specific community-based justice services for people who are poor and marginalized in 10 low-, middle-, and high-income countries.
The Strategy Specialist will support the assigned implementing lead, the Advisory Group, and the Strategy Unit Senior Program Manager by facilitating and coordinating work that will be implemented by participating OSF programs, foundations and offices. The Strategy Specialist’s overall mandate provide support, coordination, and assistance to enable the smooth logistical, administrative, and programmatic functioning of the shared framework.
Reporting to the shared framework lead, as well as the Senior Program Manager of the Strategy Unit, the Strategy Specialist’s primary role will be to coordinate collaboration among OSF staff involved in the shared framework at the country and regional level.
The Strategy Specialist’s secondary role will be to work with the Strategy Unit team to assist in the development of guidance, tools, and reporting for the broader shared framework effort. This will entail the tracking and recording of lessons learned through the ongoing facilitation and coordination tasks that could support the effectiveness or the creation of standards for future shared frameworks.
The ideal candidate will be a highly organized, self-motivated, poised individual with strong communication skills. He or she will have the ability to work with individuals and teams from diverse geographical, cultural, and political contexts; outstanding flexibility and problem-solving skills; be a deft navigator of large and complex institutions and processes; and be able to maintain a mature and calm presence under pressure.
Location – New York, NY
- supporting and coordinating a community among OSF actors, external groups and OSF programs that may not have worked together in the past
- communicating, recording, analyzing and synthesizing information coming from participating units in an efficient and timely way
- developing a communications process to keep the members of OSF and the shared framework community informed
- mitigating day to day issues that arise, and exercising personal judgement on which issues should be brought to the attention of the implementing lead and advisory group
- assessing dynamics and relationships within the shared framework and leading those relationships
- managing the intranet site (KARL) “legal empowerment community” as a platform for information and knowledge sharing about the shared framework.
- in collaboration with the partner Namati, moderate the discussion forums on the Global Legal Empowerment Network discussion platform.
- assisting in the development of strategy development, evaluation and learning tools
- assisting in the assessment of progress on goals and objectives
- gathering and compiling narrative and budget updates from participating programs/foundations advisory group, leads and board meetings; work with the Strategy Unit, Budget Team and Communications staff, and consultants, to document results; assist the implementation lead and Advisory Group to provide information, as needed, to the OSF Global Board, the President’s office, and other key partners/collaborators on efforts undertaken and progress achieved
- setting up advisory group and thematic group calls, preparing agendas and drafting minutes from meetings
- organizing webinars, writing newsletters and in other ways supporting a community of practice among OSF and non-OSF staff
- bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study or equivalent experience/education; graduate degree desirable.
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience in a situation relevant to the duties of this role
- strong communication and interpersonal skills, including active listening and communication with sensitivity to cultural differences, facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- clarity in writing and good note-taker with exceptional ability to synthesize and communicate relevant information
- experience in network building; knowledge of complex international organizations and ability to respond to the needs of multiple actors
- ability to identify connections and opportunities for collaboration in different but related bodies of work, highly organized, flexible, able to prioritize, and willing to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects
- excellent analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills
- good attention to detail, highly structured and systematic approach
- understanding of OSF structure and relationships (preferred)
- experience in evaluation and learning (preferred)
- some international travel
How to Apply
Please apply online: https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/jobs/jr-0000583/strategy-specialist.
Deadline – June 1, 2017