The Syria Institute (TSI) is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan research institution based in Washington, DC.
Location – Washington DC
We are looking for qualified undergraduate- and graduate- level fall interns. This is an exciting opportunity not only to support our Syria-related research initiatives, but also to contribute to TSI’s growth and development. Interns will be a valuable part of our small team and will gain substantive experience. We are looking for people who are willing to dive in and enthusiastically support a variety of research, organizational development, and administrative efforts. Our interns will be encouraged to attend relevant events and take part in other activities that will help deepen their knowledge of the Syria conflict and U.S. policymaking. A successful candidate will be highly motivated to learn and contribute; demonstrate maturity, insight, and flexibility; and have a passion for our mission and vision.
Responsibilities will vary depending on the intern’s individual experience, skill set, and interests. If you have a special skill (graphic design, GIS, language, coding, etc.), let us know: we will put it to good use.
General responsibilities may include:
- Conducting open-source research to support various TSI publications and projects
- Tracking political, military, and humanitarian developments in Syria
- Managing and/or contributing to posts for our social media accounts
- Assisting with administrative tasks including research, grant proposal applications, updating calendar events, and daily news updates.
- Writing brief pieces for the TSI blog
- Fast learner who takes initiative and can function independently when needed
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a high-pressure environment
- Detail-oriented • Basic understanding of the dynamics of the conflict in Syria
- Prior research experience, work with social science datasets, and/or policy analysis skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Arabic language skills highly desirable, Russian, Kurdish, or Farsi a plus
- Graphic design, coding, GIS/mapping skills a plus
- Experience traveling, learning, working in the Middle East is a plus
- Integrity, professionalism, and a desire to be part of the solution
Our internship positions are unpaid. Full-time is preferred, but we may consider part-time applicants on a case-by-case basis.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until candidates have been selected. To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject line: “Fall Internship Application – [LAST NAME].” The email should include a resume, cover letter, and a brief recent writing sample. In the cover letter please be sure to indicate the dates that you would be available. Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview and may be asked to provide additional information (references, unofficial transcript).
TSI is an equal-opportunity employer.
Deadline – N/A