The Rockefeller Foundation’s mission—unchanged since 1913—is to promote the well-being of humanity throughout the world. Today, we pursue this mission through dual goals: advancing inclusive economies that expand opportunities for more broadly shared prosperity, and building resilience by helping people, communities and institutions prepare for, withstand, and emerge stronger from acute shocks and chronic stresses. To achieve these goals, we work at the intersection of four focus areas—advance health, revalue ecosystems, secure livelihoods, and transform cities—to address the root causes of emerging challenges and create systemic change. Together with partners and grantees, The Rockefeller Foundation strives to catalyze and scale transformative innovations, create unlikely partnerships that span sectors, and take risks others cannot.
Location – 420 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY
We are seeking a Program Coordinator to join the Foundation’s YieldWise Initiative and help support our efforts to reduce food loss and waste. In 2016, The Rockefeller Foundation launched YieldWise, a $130 million initiative, with the goal of demonstrating how the world can halve food loss by 2030, one of the UN’s sustainable development goals. We have initially focused on fruits, vegetables, and staple crops in Kenya, Nigeria, and Tanzania, where up to half of all food grown is lost. We are complementing our work in Africa with support for innovative and catalytic efforts to prevent food waste in the United States and Europe with the goals of fostering a more resilient food systems that enables access to affordable and healthy food for all. The Program Coordinator will focus primarily on work taking place in the United States with select opportunities to support efforts occurring in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, and Europe, as needed.
You may be the ideal person for the role if you can bring flexibility, intellectual curiosity, disciplined execution, and excellent attention to detail to your work. As part of the YieldWise Food Waste team, you will have a unique opportunity to help shape and implement the Foundation’s strategy to prevent food waste. The successful candidate will be joining a fast-paced team and will be expected to support multiple, diverse projects simultaneously, while delivering high quality work. This role is based in New York City and is a fixed term 18-month contract.
1. Food Waste Initiative and Grants Management Support
- Contribute to the identification of new partners, development of key grant-related documents, and ongoing relationship management with key grantees involved in the Foundation’s Food Waste strategy.
- Provide bounded research support for key meetings and fast-moving opportunities beyond those that are currently part of the initiative’s focus.
- Lead ongoing scanning and synthesis of key trends, data, and ideas related to the U.S. food waste space and shares key takeaways with the YieldWise team and other Foundation staff as relevant.
2. Network Engagement and Communications Support
- Cultivate relationships with RF’s broad network of stakeholders in the food waste space – e.g., non-profits, other philanthropies, social enterprises, industry associations, etc.
- Maintain tools to support the ongoing relationship management of key partners and the Foundation’s network in the food loss and waste sector.
- Develop communications collateral (e.g., newsletters, email updates, blogs) to describe the Foundation’s work, update partners on key accomplishments and trends, and share the Foundation’s perspectives on key issues and opportunities in the space.
3. Administrative and Operational Support for Food Waste team
- Support the team with coordinating agenda, scheduling, and preparation for internal and external meetings.
- Provide project management and logistical support for key events or activities that the Foundation engages in, such as conferences, roundtables, and other convenings.
- Support effective coordination with internal functional teams, such as Legal and Communications, on questions related to grantmaking, external communications, etc.
- Analytical skills to break down complex problems into component parts; comfort pushing through ambiguity.
- Ability to research, synthesize and integrate disparate pieces of data, analysis, and information.
- An action-oriented, entrepreneurial person who is a self-starter and can work independently, as well as in teams.
- Ability to multi-task and experience dynamically setting work priorities among competing needs.
- Excellent communication skills to convey complex information appropriately to stakeholders with different backgrounds and needs, both oral and written.
- Exceptional commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively provide and receive feedback.
- Basic knowledge and broad curiosity about issues that the Foundation seeks to positively impact.
- An appetite for and sensitivity to working with and in diverse cultures.
Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an area requiring integrative and analytical thinking (e.g. Management, Social Sciences, economics, statistics).
- Minimum of two years’ work experience in non-profit, food sector, and/or philanthropic environment. Project or work experience in both non-profit and for-profit environments is desirable.
- Deep knowledge of and experience working on food systems, agriculture, food loss and waste reduction, and/or other food-related issues is strongly preferred.
- Experience delivering high-quality work in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience managing multiple projects and operating within multi-stakeholder environments.
- International development and/or social sector exposure strongly preferred.
- Computer proficiency in: MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet search skills, and ability to learn new applications quickly.
- High proficiency to work, communicate, and write in English is required.
How to Apply
Please apply online at https://careers-rockefellerfoundation.icims.com/jobs/1050/program-coordinator%2c-food-waste/job?mode=view&preview=1&userId=2122&hashed=1732218032&mobile=false&width=743&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240.
Deadline – N/A