SDSN Association was created in March 2014 as an independent 501 3 (c) organization to support the mandate of the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UNSDSN). UNSDSN was launched at the behest of the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to mobilize research, academia, the private sector and civil society to promote the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). SDSN Association is based in New York.
Reporting to the Head of Partnerships, the Events Associate manages the planning and execution of events hosted by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, the SDSNA, and other affiliate organizations. This includes coordinating logistics, processes, deadlines, and budgets for events and programs such as the annual International Conference on Sustainable Development (www.ic-sd.org), meetings of the Leadership Council, and various project and program meetings, publication launches, and workshops, among others. The incumbent will be responsible for overall event productions including advising on best practices, program/agenda development, identifying and contacting a wide range of national and international speakers, incorporating multi-media technology as well overseeing logistical arrangements including investigating venues, service providers, and vendors to support planning recommendations.
Working in tandem with colleagues from the communications and project management departments, the incumbent will manage processes and write, edit and consult in the design of event-related publications, email newsletters, social media, and websites. Additional responsibilities include expanding and maintaining events web pages, overseeing all aspects of weekly events email, updating the online calendar, and organizing event video production and archives. This position implements new marketing techniques to build audience size and depth and improve messaging, branding, and positioning.
Supporting the Head of Partnerships, the incumbent will help to facilitate new partnerships and strengthen institutional prestige. Additional responsibilities could include general administrative tasks such as updating documents and databases, and occasional oversight of work-study and event staff. This position performs all other duties, as assigned by the Head of Partnerships.
Location – New York, NY
Event Planning (80%)
- Manages the planning of events, organizing the agenda and calendar, coordinating with different departments, and managing expectations of senior leadership. Oversees logistics and execution of SDSN and affiliate events, including the International Conference on Sustainable Development and the Low-Emissions Solutions Conference. Updates the online event calendar and email newsletter.
- Serves as department liaison using tact and discretion in dealing with a wide range of constituents to develop event programming. Identifies, recruits, and facilitates communication with high profile speakers. Supports the abstract submission, review, and acceptance process. Works to identify opportunities to showcase SDSN experts and exhibit their research to the public.
- Write, edit, help design, and oversee publishing of conference- and event-related materials, including websites, programs, nametags, table tents, posters, invitations, etc. Maintains event-related design deadlines system to keep projects on track. Works closely with communications staff to manage diverse media for conferences and events.
- Maintains events financial management systems; oversees project budgets, develops reports, economizes spending, reconciles budgets and provides project estimates. Manages vendors; contracts services and negotiates related fees.
General Administrative Support (10%)
- Supports general event promotion, email production, and administrative systems.
- Aids in updating SDSN databases of contacts. This will include maintaining list serves in Mail Chimp, Google contacts, and Insightly while working closely with the SDSN Admin team to improve the current contact management system to create an integrated, robust contact management database to improve targeted communication campaigns and event solicitation.
- Aids in financial systems management, supporting the initiation of vendor relationships, and the processing of invoices.
- Assists Head of Partnerships to support the development team in cultivation and solicitation strategies.
Other Duties (10%)
- All other duties and responsibilities, as deemed appropriate by the Head of Partnerships.
- At least one year of experience organizing events is required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated use of tact and discretion in dealing with a wide range of internal and external constituents required.
- Ability to identify, manage and implement diverse and multiple tasks related to marketing and events.
- Interest in the mission of the SDSN required.
- Experience in an academic or non-profit setting preferred.
- Experience with contact management systems preferred (MailChimp, Insightly).
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities and large-scale (1,000+ participant) events.
- Candidates should be self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and a strong team player
- Please note that existing US work authorization is required for this position
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Events Associate Applicant [Your Name]”.
Deadline – N/A