Global Health Corps (GHC) mobilizes a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity. GHC believes young leaders with diverse backgrounds and a deep commitment to collaboration, innovation, and social justice are going to revolutionize how the world tackles its toughest health challenges. We strongly believe our GHC community is the new breed of leaders that the world desperately needs.
Through a competitive recruitment process, we identify daring and innovative university graduates and early- to mid-career professionals from around the world and pair them with amazing partner organizations and government agencies in the US, East Africa (Rwanda and Uganda), and Southern Africa (Malawi and Zambia). Our fellows spend a year in their placement devoting their unstoppable energy to making the world a healthier place for all people, everywhere. Whether they are working with a small grassroots organization like HIPS in Washington, DC to ensure sex workers have access to critical health services, or with the Ministry of Health in Zambia researching patient use of HIV testing and counseling, each fellow plays an essential role in the health equity movement.
Fellows come together five times a year for additional training, community building, leadership development, and mentorship to become audacious, resilient, and highly-networked changemakers. Each one of our fellows has the capacity to change the world – and many already are – and we are grateful to work closely with them to amplify their impact. Since its founding in 2009, GHC has supported nearly 600 fellows working at various levels of the health system, across issue areas and across continents, and our community gets stronger every year.
Location - New York, NY
GHC is seeking a super-savvy, speedy, creative, and globally minded communications badass to join our growing global team. The past six years have been full of exciting and rapid growth for GHC and we are in need of digital communications wizardry to help us reach our fullest potential by implementing critical components of our communications strategy and serving as a core member of the communications/advocacy team as we support the growing GHC community in a new era. The Associate will manage GHC’s social media profile across channels, manage our Medium publication, working directly with fellows and alumni to thoughtfully edit and publish their work, help oversee and implement our dynamic branding, deliver killer graphics and creative content, and more. The Associate will report remotely to the Senior Director of Advocacy and Communications based in Los Angeles; working diligently and dynamically on his/her own to deliver badassery while touching base on the reg with your remote but close-knit team – it’s that perfect balance between taking-things-and-running and close collaboration/learning from others.
You will be overseeing the implementation of our social media strategy, including the development, curation, and nearly around-the-clock posting of engaging, thoughtful, and powerful content on our social media channels and online platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Medium, and LinkedIn accounts to start… with a combined network power of more than 45,000 globally). GHC launched AMPLIFY, our community publication on Medium in Fall 2015. We’d love for you to help us steer that ship, growing our readership, managing the editing and publication of content, and helping to think through, “what next?”
You will be a whiz on the interwebs, familiar with a smorgasbord of analytic and aggregation platforms from Google and Tweet Deck to WordPress and Medium. You will understand the power of social media and digital presence to reach donors, partners, fellows, alumni, and the wider world, and the huge power it has for us to demonstrate core values and messages, engage audiences, increase visibility, and ultimately achieve to our mission. You will understand why certain content works one place, at one time, but isn’t a fit on another platform at another time. You get the nuances, the considerations, and all the potential, and you wield that like your wizard’s wand.
- Collaborate on the implementation of all facets of GHC’s communications strategy as a core member of the communications/advocacy team, but in particular lead on the following components:
AMPLIFY: daily management of GHC’s pioneer Medium publication, working one-on-one with fellows and alumni on the editing and publication of their posts, developing and managing an editorial calendar and calls for submissions, liaising with the Medium team, and spearheading the next phase of our growth strategy to increase readership, engagement, and visibility.
Social Media: implementation of social media strategy and daily management of GHC’s Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts to ensure global, inclusive, engaging, and powerful content and key interactions with donors, partners, community members, and the broader public.
Graphics/Design: serve as GHC’s go-to graphics wizard, the protector/ess of GHC’s branding who works to ensure top-notch look/feel of materials and the future of our branding and design.
Online: manage GHC’s website front-end, working to revamp, streamline, and update web content as needed; work with GHC’s operations team on website back-end needs.
Recruitment: manage key recruitment communications efforts during the new fellow recruitment period, including the design and dissemination of recruitment materials for fellows and alumni, the design of recruitment graphics, the development and implementation of a recruitment social media plan, and additional recruitment communications tasks as needed.
- Collaborate on building and maintaining internal systems to document the amplitude and impact of GHC’s social media and media clout as well as that of the GHC community.
- Develop and manage story database to document impact and learning from GHC community members.
- Support internal communications capacity building for GHC staff, including developing ad hoc materials, trainings, and one-on-one sessions to improve messaging, public speaking and presenting, social media use, and branding.
- Provide ad hoc communications support and coaching to GHC fellows and alumni.
- Remain embedded in and attuned to the changing global health and development and innovation/social entrepreneurship landscape in order to identify proactive, creative, and highly effective opportunities for the GHC community.
- 2-4 years work experience
- Bachelor degree required
- Strong and versatile writer and editor
- Demonstrated fluency in social media platforms and analytics
- Impeccable communicator internally and externally, across a range of media
- Self-directed, proactive problem solver who is comfortable working under time constraints to deliver high-quality work
- Strong ability to capture and replicate the GHC ‘voice’ across platforms
- Exceptional drive and passion for our work; mission-driven with a positive attitude
- Commitment to excellence, precision and detail
- Desire to model for and mentor fellows and alums, as well as desire to learn/be mentored
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite and other photo/video editing programs
- Experience with WordPress, Medium, and WizeHive
- Systems thinker and tech-oriented, able to research and recommend system upgrades over time
- Experience working cross-culturally
- Humility, adaptability, empathy
- Commitment to social justice and passion for global health equity
How to Apply
Please apply online at https://jobs.lever.co/ghcorps/90ce568b-8bac-4b42-b263-ee85db66ad4c.
Deadline – N/A