American Friends of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is the professional partner of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in the United States, and is a U.S. 501(c)3 charitable organization. The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation promotes academic cooperation between excellent researchers and other professionals from abroad and from Germany.
Location - 1101 17th Street NW, Suite 603, Washington, DC 20036
- American Friends seeks an enthusiastic intern to assist the office staff in promotions, fundraising, and program development.
- The intern will closely support the American Friends staff in keeping the database up-to-date, developing the American Friends online presence (website, social media, and blog platform), and conducting background research to support the development and planning of programs and activities related to global science, science policy, and transatlantic relations.
- Duties will also include general administrative tasks and other ad hoc projects.
- This is a paid, part-time internship, approximately 12 hours/week (flexible), at $10.50 per hour.
- The internship begins in January 2016 and ends in May 2016.
- Work hours and start/end date are flexible. American Friends is an equal opportunity employer.
- Assist the advocacy team in campaigns and projects advancing human rights in the Gulf region.
- Attend meetings, conferences, and events in order to advocate for human rights and represent organizational interests.
- Develop and manage an individual portfolio including campaigns, projects, and ongoing advocacy.
- Research and author reports, white papers, briefing memos, letters, statements, op-eds, and other advocacy materials pertaining to the Gulf region.
- Aid in the organization and execution of Gulf human rights defender advocacy visits and delegations to Washington.
- Perform administrative and other duties as required.
- Manage interns as needs require.
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience with data entry and database management tools
- Competency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong writing skills
- Good organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Ability to work independently and function in a small team environment
- Familiarity with social media and online research
Additional desired skills
- Experience and interest in nonprofit organizations
- Experience with the SalesForce database platform
- Experience with WordPress
- Interest in transatlantic relations and science policy
- German language skills
Undergraduate and graduate students in German, communications, or international relations are encouraged to apply. Other majors will be considered based on experience.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB Friday, December 4, 2015. No telephone calls please.
Deadline – December 4, 2015