Founded in 1963, Cultural Vistas is a nonprofit exchange organization promoting global understanding and collaboration among individuals and institutions. We develop international professional experiences that create more informed, skilled, and engaged citizens. Our programs empower people to drive positive change in themselves, their organizations, and society.
We believe that sustained immersion in a country and language and professional experience, even more than travel or study abroad, promotes confidence and skills that create successful careers and nurture leaders, whether they are community activists or change agents at a global level.
Every year our 30-plus unique exchange programs reach thousands of individuals and organizations in the United States and more than 135 countries around the world. We invite you to join us as we work together to reach thousands more.
Under the direction of the Program Director, the Program Officer manages a client portfolio of U.S. companies hosting international students and young professionals through Train USA’s Intern and Trainee programs and is responsible for admissions decisions for the program, acting as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for DHS’s SEVIS database. The Program Officer educates external stakeholders regarding Cultural Vistas’ programs and services, the mission of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program, provides hosts and participants support throughout their programs, and supervises the Assistant Program Officer.
Location – New York, NY
- Oversees compliance and quality of application process and continuous program support for up to 600 programs, as part of the department’s 4,500 annual Intern and Trainee exchange programs:
- Evaluates visa sponsorship applications to determine compliance with J-1 visa regulations, as well as internal Cultural Vistas policies
- Ensures that the proposed programs provide robust and meaningful training opportunities in line with the participant’s educational and professional experience
- Communicates program policies and expectations and effectively communicates them to external stakeholders; including applicants, U.S. companies, and immigration attorneys
- Serves as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for U.S. government database (SEVIS) to issue visa sponsorship documents and update and maintain participant records
- Monitors SEVIS deadlines and reports, as well as participant arrival information
- Solicits regular feedback from internal and external stakeholders pertaining to the progress and success of their professional exchange programs
- Prioritizes tasks with attention to deadlines and customer expectations in a high-volume, time-sensitive and client-focused environment
- In consultation with Program Development, arbitrates issues between participants and host companies
- Stays abreast of expected departmental growth/decline in program numbers, as well as budget projections
- Works collaboratively with an assigned Assistant Program Officer who assists with application processing
- Collaborates on miscellaneous projects as needed (For Example: composing external communication pieces, developing participant resources, hosting participant events, etc.)
Client Relationship Management
- Responsible for managing a client portfolio of host companies from across the U.S., ranging in size, industry and sensitivity
- Maintains regular communication with host companies, participants, immigration attorneys and Cultural Vistas’ partners to ensure meaningful opportunities, visa compliance and seamless processing
- Educates clients and participants on the J-1 visa regulations, purpose of Exchange Visitor Program, and Cultural Vistas application process and services as a sponsor
- In consultation with Program Director, develops and implements plan to proactively engage company clients – including regular check-ins via phone, email, and in-person to ensure high quality and consistent customer service
- Ensures smooth processing of applications and clear messaging with internal and external customers
- Assists host companies in the development of training programs by synthesizing information and succinctly expressing the goals and objectives of the program in a training plan
- Periodically conducts site visits to ensure companies meet program requirements, participants are having a positive experience and to promote Cultural Vistas
- Develops and maintains an advanced knowledge of visa regulations, Cultural Vistas policies and current issues in international education in order to properly represent Cultural Vistas in program administration and at events
- Develops and maintains industry knowledge by seeking out educational workshops, classes, and related publications
- Supports ongoing communication to all appropriate staff as it pertains to initiatives and new and existing business
- Takes a proactive approach to improve business functions and workflow within department
- Works in accordance with and in support of the mission, goals, values and strategic direction of Cultural Vistas
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with supervisors, colleagues, external stakeholders and people of diverse backgrounds
- Strong critical thinking skills, problem-solving skills, and analytical thinking
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- High level of concern for providing exceptional customer service
- Demonstrated ability to assume accountability for simultaneously ongoing projects, prioritize workload, remain organized, and make decisions in a fast- paced, deadline-sensitive environment
- Ability to comfortably and confidently represent Cultural Vistas, i.e. public speaking
- Strong understanding of program management, project implementation and working within the constraints of a budget
- Strong leadership qualities, proactive and collaborative with the ability to serve as an effective role-model and serve as a direct supervisor
- Ability to effectively handle ambiguity by creating focus and direction for oneself
- Ability to work efficiently with minimal oversight while providing guidance and support to others
- Honest, direct and transparent communication regardless of the message
- Ability to seek and use input from peers when necessary before making decisions
- Commitment to professionalism and professional development
- Interest in and commitment to cultural exchange and the mission of Cultural Vistas
- Foreign language skills a plus
- Computer Equipment and Software Experience Required:
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Suite products. CRM experience and proficiency a plus. SEVIS database experience a plus.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree a plus.
- Years of Experience: Minimum 3-4 years of previous administrative, customer service, client relations management, or program management experience in a cultural exchange, educational, or international relations environment.
- Domestic and international travel may be required. Work on weekends, holidays, and evenings may be require
How to Apply
Please apply online: https://culturalvistas.hyrell.com/UI/Views/Applicant/VirtualStepHardSkill.aspx?enc=80Fa0aizavwp7KDIm53FwEENPCWDa1tGi-Qd6Wdr7l7-S_mnF-5nRGG5MsUtzhkQ&tzi=Eastern%20Standard%20Time.
Deadline – N/A