The Century Foundation is a progressive public policy think tank that seeks to foster opportunity, reduce inequality, and promote security at home and abroad. Founded in 1919 by the progressive business leader Edward Filene, the TCF pursues its mission by conducting timely, non-partisan research and policy analysis that informs citizens, guides policymakers, and reshapes what government does for the better.
TCF is based in New York, with a satellite office in Washington, D.C. Its fellows come from academia, journalism, and public service, but share a commitment to the TCF’s abiding belief in the power of ideas.
The Century Foundation is seeking an innovative, passionate, and entrepreneurial communicator to lead our social media outreach and digital campaigns, and to assist with media relations, web publishing, multimedia production, and events. Working across TCF’s issue areas of education, health care, labor, privacy and surveillance, and foreign affairs, the communications associate will help grow TCF’s audience online and deepen our engagement with key target audiences and members of the press.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the associate will roughly split their time between “new media” (social, digital, email, and web work) and “traditional/earned media” (media relations, press materials, outreach). We’re looking for a great strategist, writer, and/or publicist with at least two years of experience in strategic communications, journalism, campaigns, or nonprofits.
Location – New York, NY
Digital Campaigns & Online Strategy (Approximately 50% of role)
- Manage TCF’s Twitter and Facebook accounts, and drive innovative social media campaigns to promote TCF’s policy research and expertise
- Write, design, and send institutional newsletters, campaign emails, news alerts, and related materials to TCF subscribers
- Manage segmented audience lists and subscriber databases in MailChimp
- Manage TCF’s Google Adwords Grant to maximize audience and click-throughs
- Report and analyze campaign results and integrate findings into future online campaigns
Media Relations & Press Outreach (Approximately 40% of role)
- Research press contacts and coverage relevant to TCF issues, including maintaining TCF’s press lists
- Identify, craft, and pitch stories, features, & profiles to members of the press
- Help develop sharp, compelling press materials, including pitches, press releases, op-eds, and LTEs
- Assist in coordinating interview requests & responding to incoming press queries
- Lead the organization’s media monitoring efforts, including compiling press clips and mentions
General Communications Support (Approximately 10% of role)
- Assist with events, web publishing, video and podcast production, and other communications tasks as needed
- Liaise and strengthen relationships with allies in Washington and in the research and progressive movements
- Help maintain the communications team’s editorial and production calendars
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to communications or journalism, policy or politics, or international affairs
- A minimum of two years’ experience in communications, including social media management and digital campaign experience
- Experience working with journalists or the media in a related field
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills, including copy-editing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Strong news sense and knowledge of the progressive policy landscape
- Ability to handle multiple assignments at once and work in a fast-paced, campaign-like environment
- A passion for TCF’s work and mission
- Video, editing and/or production skills, design experience, coding abilities, and/or event management experience a plus
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to email@example.com, with your name and “Digital Media & Press Associate” in the subject line. This position will be advertised until the role is filled.
Deadline – N/A