The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
Location - Washington, DC
CSIS is seeking a Research Assistant to join the International Security Program. The Research Assistant is responsible for supporting the program’s substantive work and research as well as the day-to-day operations of the program. Responsibilities for the 2015-16 year include research for a study on the implications on nuclear deterrence of a much more highly proliferated world. Additional research includes writing related to missile defense. He/she reports directly to Dr. Thomas Karako.
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conducts research in support of Program publications, briefings, and contracts, including writing on nuclear deterrence and missile defense issues
- Assists with Program outreach activities and contacts management
- Helps manage the director’s schedule, correspondence, and travel itineraries
- Assists in conceptualizing new project ideas
- Supervise 1-4 interns per semester
- Other tasks as needed
Knowledge, Education, and Experience:
- B.A./B.S. in International Relations, Political Science, Security Studies, or related field;
- Interest in nuclear deterrence and national security issues, as demonstrated by previous coursework and/or experience;
- Must demonstrate ability to conduct rigorous research and present information clearly and efficiently;
- Must demonstrate ability to support events and/or conferences;
- Superior writing and analytical skills;
- Ability to operate under pressure and in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to write, think, and operate both independently and on a team;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Sound judgment and impeccable integrity, positive attitude and creative outlook;
- Ability to interact with and respond to questions from a range of individuals with diverse interests and backgrounds;
- Internet and Microsoft Office skills;
- Previous experience with website management and other multimedia a plus.
Physical Requirements and Work Conditions:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Performances of duties require the use of hands and fingers to handle or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Interested applicants please submit your resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample at https://www5.apply2jobs.com/CSIS.
Deadline - N/A