Global Witness is a dynamic international organisation that investigates and campaigns to prevent natural resource-related conflict and corruption and associated environmental and human rights abuses. We collect irrefutable evidence through our investigations and combine it with powerful advocacy to force change.
1100 17th Street NW, Suite 501
Washington DC 20036
Global Witness is looking for a US based Policy Advisor to join our dynamic Forest Asia team, to play an integral role in supporting the investigations and advocacy of its international forest policy with a focus on the Asia / Pacific region. This is a permanent position, located at Global Witness’s office in Washington, DC.
Location: Washington, DC
Benefits: Health insurance, Pension contribution, Flexible benefits
Leave: 25 working days per leave year, excluding public holidays. This will be pro-rated for each uncompleted leave year.
- Help plan and carry out desk and field-based research and investigations into governance, social and environmental impacts, international supply chains and financial flows, and community-controlled management strategies in the forest and land sectors.
- Produce and help disseminate reports, exposés, policy briefs, press releases, blogs, tweets and other campaign and media materials to a high professional standard for a variety of audiences in coordination with Global Witness’s communications team.
- Represent Global Witness in high level advocacy meetings with industry, governments, intergovernmental bodies and other campaign targets. Monitor key developments and participate in relevant conferences, meetings and public events related to Global Witness’s forest work
- Help develop advocacy strategies and messages for Global Witness’s forest policy work.
- Contribute to funding proposals and internal and external reporting, working with Global Witness’s communications and fundraising teams as needed.
- Develop and maintain a strong network of contacts in government, industry, multi-lateral organizations, and local and international civil society.
- Collaborate with other Global Witness campaign teams as needed.
- Work within Global Witness policies and procedures, including confidentiality, source protection and security, legal and contractual requirements and general office procedures.
- Undertake any other reasonable additional activities commensurate with the role and level.
- Knowledge of international development, human rights, and environmental issues, particularly related to natural resources sectors
- Experience carrying out advocacy with governments, intergovernmental organisations and industry, with demonstrated impact
- A proven track record of writing, editing, and producing a range of written materials to a consistently high standard for a variety of audiences
- Strong desk-based research skills
- Experience developing and implementing advocacy strategies
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently, sometimes at short notice, including to high-risk environments
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills and ability to work well in collaborations and coalitions
- Direct experience of working on natural resource, development , and/or human rights issues in the Asia / Pacific regions
- Experience investigation international trade, supply chains, or complex international corporate structures
- Experience undertaking field research or investigations in developing countries
- Experience of working with the media or experience in journalism
- Familiarity with technical software for analysing satellite images and editing audio and video files
- Proficiency in Mandarin Chinese
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover/motivation letter together with a two page resume. Your motivation letter should demonstrate your suitability for this position and not exceed 2 pages.
Your application should be emailed to RecruitmentUS@globalwitness.org. Please write “Policy Advisor, International Forest Policy” in the subject heading.
Applicants applying for this position must prove they have the ongoing right to work in the U.S.
NOTE: We are only accepting applications by email. Please do not make any inquiries about the position or the status of your application. Because of the volume of applicants we anticipate, we cannot respond individually to each application. We will contact those applicants that are of interest directly.
Rolling, apply as soon as possible.