The Brookings Institution is a nonprofit public policy organization based in Washington, DC. Our mission is to conduct high-quality, independent research and, based on that research, to provide innovative, practical recommendations that advance three broad goals:
- Strengthen American democracy;
- Foster the economic and social welfare, security and opportunity of all Americans; and
- Secure a more open, safe, prosperous and cooperative international system.
Brookings is proud to be consistently ranked as the most influential, most quoted and most trusted think tank.
Location – Washington DC
Works with scholars of the Global Economy and Development (Global) program to provide strategic guidance on communications efforts and utilizes various communication strategies and tools to disseminate research and opinion through appropriate channels to targeted audiences. This includes working with scholars to coordinate events, seminars, and conferences; coordinating publications and dissemination efforts; developing and implementing strategic communications plans for the program and its scholars; assisting with media outreach; and assisting with general program administration as it relates to events, publications, and communications. Works with Central Communications Department (COMM) on strategic best practices and coordination around specific projects.
50% Publications and Communications Management
- Works with the Director of Communications, Global team staff, and scholars to facilitate Brookings publications and research outputs, and communications/outreach efforts. This includes developing key messages, identifying target audiences and the most appropriate strategies and channels through which to disseminate research and opinion for maximum impact.
- Works with Director of Communications to create and implement communication plans and strategies for individual scholars, centers, and initiatives.
- Conceives and coordinates production of communication products to accompany research outputs, including videos, podcasts, infographics, brochures, and other assets.
- Tracks and evaluates communication and outreach efforts, and advises scholars on how to maximize impact through media and public engagement.
- Works with Director of Communications, Web Content and Digital Media Manager, and COMM to strategically coordinate communications updates and activities.
- Maintains contacts databases.
- Develops and ensures effective strategic communications/outreach plans and implementation for scholars’ research, opinion, and publications, which includes targeting appropriate audiences, revising text, choosing the appropriate dissemination channel, and tracking impact.
- Coordinates the scheduling, editing, review, publishing, and distribution of research outputs and opinion, including working papers, policy briefs, reports, op-eds, blogs, and executive summaries. Coordinates publication process between Global, Brookings Press, and administrative offices.
- Oversees content scheduling, solicitation, and editorial process for Education + Development and Future Development blogs.
- Works with external graphic designers to produce publications, including the Global working paper series, Global Views policy brief series, and other Global products.
- Coordinates inquiries from and works directly with researchers, potential collaboration partners, and other organizations as they relate to specific publications, products, and events.
- Writes online content and updates for web pages, Intranet, and electronic newsletters, as needed.
30% Event Planning
- Working with the Director of Communications, Global scholars, staff, and COMM, coordinates conception, development, organization, and logistics of events, roundtables, briefings, workshops, and research meetings.
- Works with scholars, team, and project coordinators to design, plan, and execute public events, conferences, high-level meetings, roundtables, briefings, workshops, and research meetings.
- Coordinates event notices, invitations, participant registration, talking points, and event flow.
- Liaises with VIP event participants and provides assistance.
- Coordinates site arrangements, including reservations, audio-visual needs, room set-up, remote-participant support, food and beverages, working with other Brookings departments as necessary (including facilities management, conference services, and catering).
- Solicits external contract services, as necessary. Develops contract provisions, policies, and procedures.
- Manages administrative forms and processes related to events; coordinates financial reimbursement and budgeting of specific events, conferences and meetings, on behalf of the program.
- Supervises on-site arrangements during events.
- Working with Global and COMM colleagues, coordinates the preparation and distribution of event materials, and post-event communications and evaluations.
20% Media Relations
- Works with Director of Communications to conduct targeted media outreach in order to effectively promote program research and activities.
- Working with the Web Content and Digital Media Specialist, incorporates digital strategies and social media into the program’s communications efforts to reach target audiences and achieve program visibility and impact.
- Monitors media inquiries and facilitates interview opportunities on behalf of scholars.
- Helps place op-eds and other assets in media outlets, including print, online and broadcast.
- Advises scholars on media opportunities, strategies, techniques, and best practices for writing op-eds and blogs, and engaging with media.
- Organizes other strategic media engagement, including media roundtables and briefings.
- Cultivates new media relationships and advises scholars on how to secure continued media engagement.
Bachelor’s degree required (preferably in communications, economics, political science, public policy, international relations, journalism, or other related discipline). Master’s degree preferred. Minimum three years communications experience required, preferably in fast-paced, internationally focused environment, PR agency, think tank, or press office. Experience in media relations and/or strategic communications preferred. Experience with digital/new media communications preferred; existing contacts and relationships with reporters and media a plus.
How to Apply
Apply at http://www.brookings.edu/about/employment/position/2015/gbl15193.
Deadline – N/A