UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) is the United Kingdom Government’s international business development agency. UKTI is charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and the US, and with assisting US companies looking to invest in the UK. (See www.ukti.gov.uk for further information.)
UKTI USA works closely with UKTI Headquarters in London, together with representatives of the three Devolved Administrations of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, and other departmental agencies in the UK. UKTI aims to drive transatlantic trade and foreign investment into the UK. Made up of 120 members of staff spread across 9 different offices, this is a dynamic team, with geographical and sector focuses.
Location - 845 3rd Avenue, New York, NY 10022
The Business Development Associate will report to the ICT/C&M Officer in New York & will be part of the largest UKTI team in the US. This 21 person team is responsible for the North-Eastern region, engaging with clients and stakeholders in New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.
The Business Development Associate will support the ICT/C&M Officer to ensure UKTI delivers against national trade and investment targets. This will include assisting UK technology and creative companies looking to enter or grow their businesses in the US (i.e. ‘trade’), and helping innovative US technology and creative companies to capitalise on R&D and commercial opportunities in the UK (i.e. ‘investment’). Within the ICT/C&M sector, the role focuses on two main sub-sectors: 1) Information Communication Technology (e.g. Big Data, Cloud, Telecoms, and Enterprise Software), 2) Creative & Media (e.g. TV/Film, Music, Digital Marketing, Advertising, Gaming, and Ecommerce).
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term and short-term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
The salary for this position is $47,600 annualized. Salary will be confirmed upon offer of employment. Individuals who are Green Card holders, UK/US dual citizens, and non US taxpaying citizens will be paid a net salary based on a simulated US tax status.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy Network may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts.
- Proactively identify companies within the US ICT/C&M sector that would be interested in setting up or expanding their operations in the UK; make initial contact, organise visit programmes and schedule company meetings for the ICT/C&M Officer. Attend meetings where appropriate and assist in the management of client relationships.
- Conduct research and compile reports on industry developments, best routes to market and potential US business partners for UK companies operating in the sector that are looking to enter the US market.
- Assist Officer in developing and maintaining key account relationships with major UK investors headquartered in the Consular region.
- Develop knowledge of developments and trends in the ICT/C&M sector for both the US and the UK.
- Manage and expand the database of key contacts in the industry.
- Assist with initiatives such as incoming and outgoing trade missions, seminars, receptions and other events to promote the UK’s strengths in the ICT/C&M sector.
- Attend industry seminars and conferences to build relationships and represent UKTI and the British Consulate General.
- Assist with consular support services in times of crisis.
- Attend official functions outside of office hours and required to undertake domestic (US) travel between 5-10% of the time. A limited amount of international travel may also be required.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- 1-3 years professional experience in international business, preferably in the technology and/or media sector.
- Ability and credibility to deal with companies/organisations at a senior level in person and over the phone, with a proven track record of fostering business relationships.
- Excellent research and report writing skills – with an ability to provide clear, concise summaries and to respond to ad hoc requests at short notice using databases and other information sources.
- Proactive and creative self-starter, able to prioritise and effectively manage multiple tasks.
- Attention to detail and good follow up discipline.
- Strong and enthusiastic networking skills.
- Committed team player.
- Comfortable with initiating and handling introductory calls to relevant companies.
- Knowledge of the business environments in the UK and US, in particular the technology and media sectors.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team and often under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point) is essential.
How to Apply
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by 22 December 2015. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Consulate.
Please apply at https://careers-britishgovernment-northamerica.icims.com/jobs/1859/business-development-associate%3a-ict%2c-creative-%26-media/job
Deadline – December 22nd, 2015