Aviation Week, the world’s top aerospace reporting and analysis firm, has an opening for a research assistant to support the defense intelligence and data team over the summer of 2017. Assignments will consist of researching of military aircraft, with possible concentrations on: fleet counts, regional or programmatic developments, maintenance data, suppliers of components, specifications and manufacturer data. Writing opportunities may include summaries of defense market news, drafting program/system descriptions, and possibly contributing to newsletters, websites and custom research papers.
Frequency: 40 hours per week
Duration: June 1 to August 31, 2017
Location – Washington DC
- Familiarity with military aircraft programs is required.
- Ideal candidate is a graduate student focusing in Strategic/Security Studies but undergraduate students may apply.
- Pluses include:
- Business-level proficiency in a foreign language
- Knowledge of military maintenance procedures
- Previous experience tracking military fleets, programs or maintenance spending
- Experience with databases - Microsoft Access, SQL, PL/SQL, Oracle, etc.
How to Apply
Please send applications to: email@example.com
Please type “APPLICATION:” at the beginning of the subject line and include the following:
- Cover letter (1 pg. max) explaining one’s experience and interest in the position
- Resume (1-2 pg.)
- Writing sample on a defense/ security topic of 1-5 pages MAXIMUM. Can be excerpted from a longer work; if so, please preface with a paragraph explaining the context.
Deadline – N/A