Americans for Democracy and Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) fosters awareness of and support for democracy and human rights in Bahrain and the Middle East.
1001 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 205
Washington, D.C. 20036
Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) is a seeking creative, organized, passionate, and hard-working legal extern for the fall semester (September – December 2015). Application deadline is rolling with a target start date of August 31, 2015. We are happy to work with students seeking academic course credit for their work.
- Identify and research pertinent domestic and international law;
- Prepare client complaints for United Nations documentation;
- Prepare research memoranda on United Nations systems;
- Attend and take notes on conferences and events of concern to ADHRB;
- Assist with client interviews as necessary;
- Assist the advocacy team as necessary; and
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be creative and hard-working!
- Preferably be in their 2L year of law school (although 3L applicants will be considered);
- Have taken or be in the process of taking a course on public international law and/or international human rights law, or be demonstrably familiar with the concepts of public international law and/or international human rights law;
- Be familiar with the United Nations System;
- Have experience applying pertinent domestic and international law to complex fact patterns, particularly in forms similar to those of legal memoranda;
- Be interested in and knowledgeable of human rights issues, particularly with respect to freedom from torture, the freedoms of speech, expression, and association, due process rights, and/or prisoners’ rights;
- Demonstrate superb writing skills;
- Be able to work independently, take initiative, and exercise sound judgment and discretion;
- Possess solid organizational and time-management skills;
- Be committed to ADHRB's mission; and
- Be able to commit to at least 8 hours per week.
How to Apply
Please email a resume, cover letter, excerpted legal brief (10 pages max.) to internships [at] adhrb.org with the subject line ‘Legal Externship’. We would additionally welcome any papers that a student has written analyzing international human rights law.
Deadline - Start Date is August 31.