Americans for Democracy and Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) fosters awareness of and support for democracy and human rights in Bahrain and the Middle East.
1001 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 205
Washington, D.C. 20036
Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) is seeking creative, organized, passionate, and hard-working applicants for the Advocacy Internship position for the fall semester September - December 2015). The target start date is August 31, 2015. We are happy to work with students seeking academic course credit for their work.
- Track and report on U.S. federal legislation, government policies, and statements pertaining to the human rights situation in Bahrain;
- Research and draft legislative fact sheets and other Hill-related materials;
- Attend and report on hearings, briefings, and other meetings in DC to help foment ADHRB work;
- Assist with advocacy campaigns by conducting research and preparing background memos and other written materials;
- Track Bahrain-related news, legislation, and statements by global policymakers, the European Parliament, and United Nations officials on a daily basis;
- Assist in social media campaigns and the drafting of external communications, including blog posts, editorial pieces, and informative backgrounders;
- Support lengthy analytical external reports through research and writing;
- Engage in community outreach with student organizations, constituent communities, and relevant faith-based communities;
- Support the mobilization of grassroots on the issue of human rights in Bahrain;
- Prepare updates for the website and other media-related materials; and
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
The ideal candidate will be/have:
- Creativity and ingenuity!
- A graduate student, law student, or recent graduate from undergrad;
- Experience working/interning on Capitol Hill or for a non-profit organization;
- Interest in and knowledgeable of human rights issues, particularly with respect to freedom of speech, expression, and association, due process rights, and/or prisoners’ rights;
- Demonstrate superb writing skills;
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and exercise sound judgment and discretion;
- Solid organizational and time-management skills;
- Committed to ADHRB's mission; and
- Able to commit to 24-40 hours per week. (Full-time availability preferred)
Additional skills that are also highly desirable include:
- Arabic and French language skills
- Experience using social media in a professional capacity (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
- Photoshop, video editing and/or other graphic design experience
- Demonstrated research experience (especially related to the Middle East, human rights, democratization, governance, and political rights)
- Experience building and executing grassroots outreach/advocacy campaigns
How to Apply
Please email a resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample that demonstrates your writing skills (5 pages max.; excerpts are fine) with the subject line ‘Advocacy Internship’ to internships [at] adhrb.org.
Deadline - Target Start Date is August 31, 2015