3ie is an international grant-making NGO promoting evidence-informed development policies and programmes. We are the global leader in funding and producing high-quality evidence of what works, how, why and at what cost in international development. We believe that better and policy-relevant evidence will make development more effective and improve people’s lives.
Location: Washington, DC
This program manager position in 3ie's Washington office covers program management for two programs, the replication program and the expert roster (which is one of 3ie's impact evaluation services). For the replication program, the program manager will work as part of the replication team and have primary responsibility for all grants administration and program reporting and communication. For the expert roster, the program manager will work with members of the impact evaluation services team and 3ie's digital manager to design an update to the online roster service and the processes for adding to and maintaining that database. The program manager will then play the lead role in managing that program. The program manager will also work with the impact evaluation services team to design and implement an online match-making tool for implementing agencies and researchers.
- Communicate with grantees on administrative, procedural, and contractual issues
- Manage contracts with external project advisors and reviewers
- Track grant timelines and deliverables and notify other program team members about deadlines
- Process payments for funding programs in conjunction with the 3ie Finance Office.
- Prepare reports for other 3ie offices and for funders
- Develop and document internal program team procedures including role definitions
- Assist in the development of program policies and procedures and the writing of external program documents
- Help organize program events
- Manage logistics for program events
- Contribute to proposal writing for program funding
- Prepare cost proposals for program funding
- Develop and track program budgets
- Provide administrative, procedural, and contractual oversight for contracted program work conducted by individual researchers or firms
- Maintain the expert roster database
- Prepare material for 3ie program web pages
- Conduct research for funding proposals and communications products
- Write blog posts and other knowledge products related to the programs being managed
- Collaborate with the Policy, Advocacy, and Communications Office for preparing and publishing reports and other documents produced by 3ie grants and other programs
- Help plan and organize 3ie knowledge dissemination events
- Support the re-design and operation of 3ie's expert roster
- Support the expansion and marketing of the expert roster across stakeholder networks
- Develop, together with the impact evaluation services team, a matchmaking tool for 3ie's website
- Participate in strategic planning for new programs, particularly costing and budgeting
Completes other tasks as requested
M.A./M.S. plus three years of professional experience
- Working knowledge of international development practice
- Excellent program management skills
- Excellent skills in communication, planning and organization, teamwork, and relationship management
- Ability to take initiative and work under pressure
- Interpersonal and multi-cultural sensitivity
- Superior quantitative skills particularly as related to budgeting and accounting with demonstrated proficiency building complex budgets in Excel.
- Demonstrated success in coordinating people
- Ability to manage multiple/parallel projects
- Superior organizational skills including demonstrated proficiency at document management and process tracking
- Skill and ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints
The term of the position begins as soon as possible after hiring.
The program manager works in 3ie's Washington office and reports to the 3ie Deputy Director who heads the Washington Office or her designee. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and salary history within the applicable salary scale for the 3ie Washington Office. 3ie, Inc. provides 401(k) and other standard benefits.
All 3ie employees are required to periodically attend Skype or video conference meetings outside of normal business hours. Any telecommuting other than meetings outside of normal business hours must be approved in advance. Further information is available upon request.
How to Apply
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled beginning on October 30, 2015. This is a high priority position, and suitable candidates are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience. Please send cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to Brigid Monaghan at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'PM/WO'. Only candidates suitable for interview will be contacted.
Deadline: until filled