Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization, with a mission to measurably improve the health of poor and vulnerable people in the developing world by influencing their behavior, principally through social marketing of family planning and health products and services, and health communications. PSI has programs in more than 60 countries and works in malaria, HIV, reproductive health, child survival, and tuberculosis. PSI's core values are a belief in markets and market mechanisms to contribute to sustained improvements in the lives of the poor; results and a strong focus on measurement; speed and efficiency with a predisposition to action and an aversion to bureaucracy; decentralization and empowering our staff at the local level; and a long term commitment to the people we serve. For more information, please visit www.psi.org.
Location: Washington, DC
PSI seeks an intern to support two departments in the Executive Office—Global Security, and PSI Network Membership. This internship provides an opportunity to work with department staff to provide administrative support, knowledge management, and research initiatives for both departments. The intern will support various administrative, management and technical functions.
PSI Network Membership
Nurturing the network is a strategic initiative aiming to improve the PSI offering to the members of the PSI Network, ensuring we deliver more value than the sum of our parts. The intern will support the activities supporting this initiative, including
- Supporting Boards & Governance – you will work with teams to improve the performance of the PSI Network through support to a connected Board of Directors that understand & actively sell the value of the PSI network through:
- Support for research to inform a draft a "Universal Board Charter" outlining principals & expectations guiding the role and commitment of Boards across the PSI Network.
- Support to curate a space connecting regional Board Chairs with the PSI network & each other - to share best practice, challenges and successes. Activities will include drafting and managing communications on PSI communication distribution channels, various media, and drafting board and network specific content.
- Support development of communication materials for PSI staff and the board member we support to get proactive, engage donors/ stakeholders, and actively market benefits of the psi network .
- Support drafting of a pilot tool to assessment Board Performance;
- Provide administrative and targeted technical support to the 'Nurture the Network' Strategic initiative, supporting teams to manage workplans and activities in support of the initiave. Work will include task specific activities such as research, analyzing secondary data, and support to primary research of teams
- Support drafting and research supporting the "Institutional Development guidebook" - a guidance document to PSI teams and our partners to supporting teams with links to specific tools & guidance
- Provide support as required to coordinate activities of a small team looking to make a huge impact in the PSI world.
The Global Security Unit provides technical guidance, best practices, and incident or crisis management support to all of PSI's offices globally. This includes:
- Monitoring a wide variety of media sources to monitor international events;
- Analyzing events and incidents to understand how they might impact PSI staff and operations;
- Creating or explaining SOPs and trainings on a variety of safety and security topics for use in the countries;
- Editing documents and trainings, and ensuring written documents are translated into French and Spanish;
- Organizing headquarters trainings and related logistics.
The Executive OfficeIntern will have a variety of duties for different projects related to PSI's activities. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Fulfilling administrative functions, including invoicing and expense reconciling;
- Supporting administrative preparation for key presentations, conferences, meetings and retreats;
- Plan a variety of events, including departmental meetings and retreats;
- Maintaining and updating various administrative records, including an internal system of knowledge management and conducting routine website content updates;
- Assisting with domestic and international travel arrangements including expense report preparation, hotel reservations, visa applications, drafting necessary invitation letters and arranging meeting schedules for international staff visiting DC;
- Assisting in creation and updating of communications materials, including one pagers and presentations;
- Conducting research and synthesizing reports on a wide variety of topics;
- Responding to internal/external requests for information and assisting with website updates as necessary;
- French or Spanish skills desirable.
The ideal candidate will possess strong computer, analytical and organizational skills; attention to detail; ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks; ability to follow assignments through to completion; and strong commitment to deadlines. Additionally, an ideal candidate will have:
- Strong qualitative and quantitative skills, including ability to synthesize large amounts of information into succinct documents;
- Highly detail oriented, even under tight deadlines;
- Experience with data management, indexing and spreadsheets;
- Experience with financial and program management;
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to balance ongoing, long-term, and urgent tasks;
- Ability to work independently with remote supervision at times;
- Interest in health and/or international development preferred;
- Bachelor's degree in Global/Public Health, International Affairs, International Business, Non-Profit Management, or similar
You will be a self-starter looking to make a difference in the world! Will require plunging in head first to tasks, willing to make mistakes while we support the most vibrant, robust social marketing networks in the world!
PSI offers flexible working hours and a dynamic, creative, and progressive work environment. This internship requires 40 hours per week and is a paid position, based in Washington, DC. The internship will begin November 2015 and go through May 2016 with an option to renew based on performance.
How to Apply
Apply online through PSI's website.