The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world.
Location: Washington, DC
The Program Officer reports to the Senior Director for LAC program and works with LAC and Grants staff to provide programmatic and administrative support to NED’s LAC grants program; contributes to developing the Endowment’s strategy for LAC; sets programmatic priorities, monitors and evaluates projects, and tracks program budgets.
- • Evaluating project proposals and progress reports in the respective LAC country portfolios;
- • Drafting summaries of proposals to present at quarterly Board of Directors’ meetings;
- • Maintaining regular communication with potential and existing grantees;
- • Monitoring the work of grantees, including regular field visits;
- • Tracking political developments and relevant players in the respective LAC country portfolios , and informing NED’s LAC overall strategy;
- • Representing NED LAC programs at relevant internal and external meetings;
- • Providing support for senior staff as they represent the LAC region country portfolios before the Board of Directors, the President, congressional committees, government agencies and other entities as needed;
- • Building and maintaining relationships with like-minded organizations, including other donors, NED partners and regional organizations.
- • Organizing and participating in events to highlight specific democracy-related issues with respect to the respective LAC country portfolios.
- • Master’s degree in International Affairs, Political Science, International Development or related discipline;
- • At least 5 years of extensive experience in democracy-related work;
- • In-depth understanding of political issues and trends in Latin America and the Caribbean; experience working on specific countries a plus;
- • General understanding of trends in democratic development, civil society issues, and familiarity with civil society networks and individual activists in the LAC region;
- • Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish; fluency in Spanish is required;
- • Time living, working or traveling in Latin America;
- • MS Office skills;
- • High degree of organization and initiative;
- • Experience with financial management and reporting;
- • Excellent interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, salary history and requirements, completed NED Employment Application and contact information for three professional references. Please send to email@example.com, with your name and PO, LAC – Job #1545 in the subject line. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org. Please no phone calls.