The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Program Officer for its Eurasia section. The position is based in Washington, DC.
Location: Washington, DC
Job DescriptionThe Program Officer will work with the regional director, the Senior Program Officer and program staff to develop and manage the NED’s Central Asia grants portfolio, develop the Endowment’s strategy for Central Asia, set priorities, and monitor and evaluate projects in the region.
- Assess grant proposals to present at quarterly NED Board meetings;
- Travel to the region on a regular basis to identify and work with potential new grantees;
- Monitor and provide compliance assistance to existing grantees;
- Attend relevant internal and external meetings;
- Track political and third sector developments in the region;
- Maintain contacts with organizations and individuals working on the region.
- A Master’s level education in International Affairs, History, Political Science or related discipline;
- At least five years of prior experience in democracy related and nonprofit work;
- In-country experience in Central Asia.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and Russian; fluency in Russian is required and proficiency in Turkic languages of Central Asia would be an advantage;
- Proficient in the use of MS Office;
- High degree of organization and initiative;
- Experience in financial monitoring and reporting;
- Knowledge of program evaluation techniques;
- Excellent staff, office management and interpersonal skills.
How to apply
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, salary history and requirements, completed NED Employment Application and contact information for three professional references. Please send to email@example.com, with your name and PO, Eurasia – Job #1547 in the subject line. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org. Please no phone calls.